November: Photography of seventh-year students
Dating: December 22, 1929
Provenance: Donation from Chief Superintendent Nuno Homem da Costa
Photography: Carlos Rodrigues
Research and text: Lília Castanha
In the month in which the Blessing of the Covers is celebrated, the NMLJM-Núcleo Museológico “O Lyceu” presents a photograph of seventh-year students from the Liceu Jaime Moniz, when it still operated in the Paço Episcopal, on Rua do Bispo.
In December 1929, a group of students from the 7th year of high school (currently the 11th) made their final trip to Lisbon, in the company of two teachers. In their luggage, the suit and cape, which they wore for the photo taken in a studio in the capital.
In this excursion group, there are three people from the same family. The illustrious Liceu teacher Cónego António Homem de Gouveia, uncle of the student Fernando Homem da Costa, who, in turn, would marry the sister of the student Fernando Pinto Coelho, something that the two seventh-year students were unaware of at the time.
The three assumed important positions in their professional lives.
Canon António Homem de Gouveia served in the Diocese and other civil roles, such as professor, President of the General Board or deputy. He spoke several languages, especially German. During the exile of Emperors Charles of Austria and Zita of Bragança and Boubon-Parma, in Madeira, Canon Homem de Gouveia was their chaplain, advisor and secretary.
Fernando Homem da Costa pursued a military career. In 1938, already married to Maria Alice Pinto Coelho, he left for Macau, where he remained during the Second World War. He returned to Madeira and held several leadership positions in the Military Garrison. In 1960, he took office as president of the General Board of the Funchal district. Colonel Fernando Homem da Costa would also hold the presidency of the Autonomous Port Board and the Hydraulic Development Board.
Fernando Pinto Coelho graduated and received a PhD from the University of Coimbra. He attended internships in England and became a full professor of Chemistry. During his academic career, he held several prominent administrative positions. He was also a Portuguese delegate to the UN International Conferences on the use of atomic energy for peaceful purposes, as well as a consultant to the Nuclear Energy Board from 1960 to 1974.